The international radio regulations require that the radiotelephone station in every vessel shall be under the control of an operator holding a License to operate. The regulations require that the Short Range (SRC) operator certificate is issued to candidates who have given proof of the knowledge and professional qualifications listed below.
The course may also be available as an on line option at our school, but you will still need to attend an examination session. The procedure is very easy and a little cheaper.
1. Book & pay with us £90
2. We then create an RYA interactive user account, send you a username and password the course book and application form.
3. you go through the assessments at the RYA site with our assistance and gain the Assessment Certificate.
4. You then come to us for the Exam £60.
- Practical knowledge of radiotelephone operation and procedure.
- Ability to send correctly and to receive correctly by regular telephone.
- General knowledge of the regulations applying to radiotelephone communications and specifically to safety of life.
- The correct use and understanding of the GMDSS system
- All new VHF sets are either fitted, or can be interfaced, with DSC allowing calls to specific vessels. If you hold the ‘old’ VHF licence (pre-1999) you need to upgrade your qualification if you purchase new equipment. This can be done by attending this one-day course or, if no tuition is required, you can enter for direct examination.
- Course topics include:
- the basics of radio operation
- the correct frequencies (channels) to be used
- distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- making ship to shore telephone calls
- Digital Selective Calling (DSC) using simulators
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue (SART)
- The course will be taught and examined using radio simulators
- The exam will also include a short written test.
- The new course fee will be £115 and includes the G31 course book, plus the RYA exam fee of £60.
Assumed knowledge prior to the classroom course is about 3 hours of self tuition with the RYA book G31.
We have an SRC taster video here that you can look at
Please call for latest course dates.